The concept of a messaging app that encrypting the user through a generated code. This enable the user to keep their privacy and decide who can message them.
What I did
The concept was completed using the following steps:
Complete a kick off design brief with the client
Send a short survey to understand people’s messaging habits
Identify core journeys we want to do research on
Create prototype based on these key journeys
Recruit participants and test the prototype
Iterate on the prototype based on findings
Completed the research and iteration process twice
Kick off design brief
The kick off brief was initially sent to the client to get a better idea of the product, audience as well as goals and objectives to measure success.
The objective was to create a user friendly and visually appealing messaging application that can generate revenue.
The main competitors and comparators were Messenger and WhatsApp as they are the most popular.
Millennials were the target audience and could use the application for dating.
The survey was sent to discover people’s messaging habits, gain quantitative data and recruit participants for user interviews. Google forms was the platform of choice as it was easy to use and provide infographics to represent data.
In regards to app features, privacy was thought to be very important and most would like to have the option over who could contact them.
What I tested
The WhatsApp and IOS UI Kit was chosen to test the features as it was a platform user was familiar with. The styling and images were black and white to not distract from the features.
The chats page is where all previous conversations with contacts are stored.
Contact that changes their code are represented with a red dot on the Chats page with a customizable default message “Oops, you’ve been RiiGN’d”.
The user would have to request a new code from the chat to resume the conversation. The contact would have the option to accept or decline that request.
Users could add contact by navigating to the code page using the bottom navigation.
Users are then expected to scan the QR code of the person they are trying to add.
An interruption card would then pop up to make sure you want to proceed with adding the contact.
Change your code
This feature has been grouped in the same location as the ‘add new contact’ page and is accessible by tapping the QR icon in the bottom navigation.
Written in red on the top left of the first screen, is the number of code changes you have left and when your code allowance will renew.
By tapping on the link “change code”, there is the option to change the code for selected contacts or for everyone with a description of what will happen next based on the users package.
Upgrades are located in the settings page and accessible when tapping the package field highlighting package information.
The upgrades are also advertised across the “Change your code” journey, that outlines the benefits of additional features since users may find the need for them. Features such as the ability to have more codes or to use two codes at once would help meet the business requirement of generating revenue.
Packages are represented by Chameleons, with the reptile blending in more and more with the background as the package becomes more premium with more privacy options.
The participants were recruited from the survey. A discussion guide was created based on the key journeys identified. I tested with three participants per iterations.
Trello was the tool used to note take. The boards were organized following the same structure as the discussion guide.
Users were interviewed and recorded using Zoom.
Once the research was conducted, the board was duplicated and reorganized for each journey. Each journey had three themes, what was understood, what was unclear and what was the feeling.
The outcomes were then packaged up in google slides where they would be presented to the client.
Users felt they were more likely to upgrade to a more premuim package if they saw additional feautures advertied in context.
Users felt having interuption steps before adding new contacts or changing their codes made the application more secure.
Users wanted the ability to change their code easily and for the least amounts of steps to access it.
Users wanted the ability to know what their code was changed to and to share by other means than the QR code.
Based on these outcomes, the mock up was iterated upon to meet these findings.